Final Blog !! - Bridget

 The VR experiences for our readings were a lot different from the others that we used, like "Clouds over Sidra". These were more like games than educational experiences. These I felt like had a different goal in mind. Especially using the Motto piece, it is definitely centered around a collective experience. It's meant to bring us all together, as it is a collection of all different people's visions. I think it also sparks a lot of wonder in the space around us, helping us to appreciate the squares around us and the way a light switch turns on and off. This piece makes me feel like a little kid, wiggling my toes and fingers and just feeling happy. The other pieces were more like a video game and not set in our own world. They made me think about a game set in a fantasy world. V(R)ses mixed this feeling with a fragmented sort of idea. I tried to follow the numbers reading through it because I thought this would give a sense of order, but even this method showed the work's fragmented narrative. While I couldn't use Agence, this also gave a sci-fi feel. 

Using different digital mediums for our work this semester expands how I see artwork in general. I think that so many mediums can add an interactive element to a piece of art which I think has the power to bring people together and feel more connected. For pieces like "Unjustly Exposed", this makes these stories feel so personal, it's hard to ignore how they make you feel. As Milk explains, all digital lit that uses these interactive and immersive mediums can create a great sense of empathy that sometimes we can't feel when it comes to an article or novel. As we keep growing technology-wise in our society, digital lit will keep expanding too. I believe that the more immersive pieces become, the more personal and connecting our art can be. This connection is so important in a world where everyone feels so far apart and divided. 

Comments

  1. Bridget, I agree with your commentary on some of these works, especially the Motto piece, being a collective experience. I find I can connect more to works that have an interactive component–but this was cool to see others interact as well. I think collaboration (either between audience or with multiple authors) will be a key feature of digital works to come. I also liked how you related these works studied to an art form, because this is something that resonates with me–especially with pieces like "How to be at Home" that incorporate actual artwork with writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts