Humans of UNH

 




My name is Angela and I’m graduating this May from the University of New Hampshire. With only a month left of school, it has made me appreciate my past few years in Durham. I couldn’t have asked for a better year, especially being able to live with my best friends. We’ve all been friends since freshman year so renting off-campus seemed the most ideal. We’re constantly together, from classes during the week to spending weekend nights out. It’s become a tradition for us, making dinner together and then blasting our favorite music while we get ready. It was truly what got me through the week, just the thought of jumping around at the bar and letting loose. I’m proud that I was able to live on my own without depending on my parents. I had to push myself to stay in order, meaning keeping the house clean and learning to cook for myself. Although, I would thank my dad as my biggest supporter. He always held high expectations for me and always pushed me to believe in myself. I’ve loved my experience at UNH, it’s been these moments and people that have made UNH my home away from home.


I only have about a month until graduating, but I’m excited about the future. I’ll be graduating with a communications degree and plan on moving home for about a year. I’m looking to start my career in PR and save money at the same time. Eventually, I plan on relocating to Boston and moving back in with friends. I look forward to getting into a routine, sometimes I find myself balancing so many things. I’ve surprised myself with how well I did in school. As a freshman, I had this fear that I wouldn’t be able to handle the work. But using my time management skills I was able to exceed my expectations. I think I’m ready to start this next chapter. I feel that change is essential and this is just the next step in my life. I’m still coming to acceptance that graduation is coming fast and that I’ll have to become an ‘adult’. But I’ve honestly learned a lot over the past four years and I’m excited for what’s next. ADVICE: “Take in every moment. And if you don’t feel like going out, just do it because that's when the best memories are made.”





Hey, I’m Tom, and I’m a senior at the University of New Hampshire. I feel that over the past few years I’ve learned a lot about myself. It has been a long four years and getting to where I am hasn’t been the most direct path. During COVID I found myself taking a semester off of school. While the world was on pause, I was at full throttle to figure out my passions and how to pursue them. With the support of my parents and brother, I was able to surpass my struggles and continue at UNH. Being a senior has made me step up to my responsibilities and go after what I want. It's nice to know that the younger guys on my lacrosse team look up to me. It feels good that I can be a good role model for them to look up to or go to if they need anything. I think that's what any underclassman would want, a good influence in their life that can help guide them through anything. Looking back I’m proud of where I am today. Not just in my personal growth but with all I’ve accomplished so far in my classes. One of the toughest I took was My Personal Finance. I had to put my all into it but in the end, I learned a lot of critical things I needed to know about managing my finances in the future. It made me realize that although the struggle is tough the end goal is far more rewarding. 


Although it has been stressful at times, I’ve proved to myself what I am truly capable of. I’m proud of the decisions I’ve made for my future and the initiative I had to take to set me up for my next steps in life. I’ve made some incredible connections during my time at UNH and will continue to carry some of these throughout my lifetime. These people have helped me become a better communicator and truly learn things about myself. I feel that my drive has changed tremendously from where I was four years ago. I felt that when entering UNH I still didn’t have a clear idea of who I was and where I was going in life. “The Art of Not Giving A F*uck” was one book that helped me change my perspective. I learned how to care about the things I should care about and how to let the things that I shouldn’t affect me. I’ve surprised myself with how well I’ve been able to take initiative with things that are better for me rather than the things and people who are not. I’m sad to be leaving Durham but feel that I’m ready to embark on my next journey. I feel that I expect a lot out of myself in the future. I want to grow in my career, relationships, and finances. Postgrad, I will be relocating to Charleston, SC with my girlfriend and am ready to experience this change as well. I have already started my career while finishing up my degree working as a data analyst for a market research company. I’m also excited to continue to focus on my mental and physical well-being. ADVICE: Keep your individuality. Don’t let the social scene and fun get in between your personal goals and growth. Still, have fun though!





Hi, I’m Grace. I am a senior at UNH, and I’m graduating with a communications degree. I’ve enjoyed my adventure at UNH and have been sad thinking about how close I am to graduating. My older brothers who graduated from UNH would always tell me to enjoy every day as it goes by fast. I never really thought about what that meant until recently. Over the past four years, Durham has become my home. I’ve made amazing friends, learned new things, and created endless memories. Once we graduate is when reality hits,  we’ll be in the real world and living in a new area. After graduating I’ll be moving home for a bit then hopefully moving to Boston. I’ve had some trouble with job searching, it's a stressful process and often I feel lost. I've been questioning where to apply, what my career path should be, and if my resume is good. To ease some stress I have been able to take more electives this semester. For example, I’ve been able to take Frisbee Golf with one of my roommates. Classes like this are just easy-going and fun so it has been sort of a positive release. I also really enjoyed my language and social interaction class, this was a required class and really what made me love my major. The professors I had over the year were overall amazing, they were always so supportive and understanding of the pressure. I’m proud that I’ve completed my coursework. From freshman to senior year I felt overwhelmed by the list of major courses I would need to complete. But every semester, I became more confident that I would be able to complete them all. I'm more capable than I think, I let work overwhelm me sometimes but it's not that bad when thinking of the bigger picture. Being a senior it's great to feel that I’ve reached the end. 


It’s sad to think that all of this is coming to an end, I wish we had more time so I’m trying to have as much fun and just enjoy what we have left. I hope that when we leave the social aspect will remain and we’ll all end up living in the city together. One song that I have to mention is “So Close” by NOTD. This has always been a favorite for my friends and me. It reminds me of freshman year and the feeling of years ahead that we had to look forward to. Although I’ll never forget the memories I’ve made I’m excited about the future. ADVICE: Enjoy every moment. As cliche as it sounds, it does go by fast, have the most fun you can.” 



Comments

Popular Posts