Blog Post 9- Sarah

I think VR is a very interesting way of storytelling and I think this will start to become an increasingly popular method of storytelling in the future due to its visual nature. I know I previously discussed visuality in previous blog posts, but I think it’s important to mention it now in light of Chris Milk’s claim of VR as an “empathy machine” because I completely understand what he means by this statement. I think that VR does something very interesting by combining photo and video which both are powerful modes of generating empathy and emotional response. After reflecting on this, and thinking about my love for journalism, I think it would be interesting if more journalists and news outlets incorporated this mode of storytelling in their work.

To touch on the VR pieces, Bashir’s Dream and Clouds Over Sidra, I was really intrigued by these stories. They were similar in nature but told 2 different heartbreaking stories. In Bashir’s Dream, I thought it was powerful yet devastating how the producer, RYOT, used animation graphics to depict the time that Bashir was shot. VR was useful in this story to show Bashir’s living situation, new place of refuge, and family. Similarly, in Clouds Over Sidra, the use of VR helped to depict Sidra’s life almost as if it was a day in the life. One part I found interesting was when the boys were wrestling. At first, I didn’t realize that this was interactive until I started moving the screen. I admittingly went back and watched this part again. It gave the moment new meaning. 

    I think there is great potential for this form of storytelling. I think it still needs to become highly popularized before it comes into mainstream media as a mode of storytelling, but by having stories published like Bashir’s Dream and Clouds Over Sidra, things are heading in the right direction.

Comments

Popular Posts