Blog Post 9 Jerry

I really enjoyed Bashir's Dream, I thought it was pretty heartwarming, and the 360 degree videos of the real life portions felt very real and candid, especially the one where the kids are running around in the bushes. I liked the ability to look around and see where the kids were running off to. I imagined it as a movie and thought that while it may have been just as pretty, there is something to the 360 degree video that makes the footage feel very plain but awfully real in a way that I think is lost when filters and depth of field effects and cuts come into play. I think it has to do with the fact that in these 360 degree videos there isn't anything forcing you look at one thing, the way a close up shot of something in a cinematic movie would do, and without the post-filming effects it's almost like someone bringing you along in their car while they drive you around their neighborhood; that's the feeling I get. I also love 90's 3D art, I thought the vibe of the environment where Bashir is shot in his dream was very haunting and I thought that the art style contributed a lot to that. The mix of those computer art scenes and the real life one's went well together and I got the sense that the person who made this put their heart into it.

I thought that the Chris Milk talk was interesting, for me it's always nice to hear from people like filmmakers who are accomplished in their field because they speak from experience and give insight to a profession that I find pretty fascinating. When he was showing Clouds over Sidra, during the scenes in her apartment I felt like with a VR set on it would be a lot easier to begin and imagine what life is like for whoever the story is about. I don't know if we're at the stage yet where the things Chris talked about can truly be experienced, but I got a sense of what the future of VR movies could look like, and the thought a movie being a small world I could step into and interact with is a really cool idea; almost like a mix between a movie and a video game - I think that would be some next level stuff.

Comments

  1. I like what you said about how plain, yet real the footage is. For example, in Clouds Over Sidra when they were showing people heating up the bread, I couldn’t help but think how different the scene would look if it were a travel documentary, where things might be more flashy or aesthetically pleasing to look at. I think VR captures the idea that more cinematic documentaries do not—which is what you see is kinda what you get. Ultimately, the simple display of the scenes you are placed in makes it as real as the people who tell their stories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts