Blog #9 - Anya

I like how Chris Milk explains how easy it is to feel disconnected from other people’s stories when they are just being read or watched on a screen without any interaction from the viewer. I also like how he explains VR as more than just a video game and that it can be used to connect people to other cultures and stories. I never realized such projects like his could be used in government or economics as a way to shed light on people’s hardships. I think in a world where technology is rapidly evolving and changing, it makes sense that software like VR can be used for worldview applications. 

While watching Clouds Over Sidra, I like how as Sidra is describing her surroundings, I can look to see what she is referencing. For example, when she talks about the grey clouds, I can actually see the grey clouds that she describes. I think VR also showcases how audio can be used to make a story that much more memorable. Sidra’s voice narrating makes her story seem more real while you can look around. It's like she is describing her life through her perspective and I am sitting taking it all in. 

While watching Bashir’s Dream, I like how they included animation as a part of his story too. For example, I like how at the end he dreams of traveling abroad and the viewer is flown into space. It adds an extra perspective as if you are actually in Bashir’s dream, which also creates an extra element of empathy. Also, I noticed with his story they included audio elements to make his story feel more immersive too. I think it brings up the idea of 3D audio along with VR to make stories like Bashir to feel that much more real. Overall, I really enjoyed how VR can be used to enlighten people’s perspectives on other people’s cultures and stories, and with the way technology is constantly changing, I think VR might be a new form of storytelling that is worth sharing.

Comments

  1. I also enjoyed the animations in Bashir's Dream. I think the playfulness of the animations allows the viewer to gain a sense of empathy. I also had never thought of VR as an international relations tool though, as you said, it makes sense in this day in age when you take into consideration how far we have come with technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your connection about being transported into space with feeling like it's Bashir's dream sequence. I thought it was used to give perspective to the situation and connect everyone to the cause, however, I agree that especially after using the Google cardboard, being in space felt dream-like. I also liked that you brought up Milk's explanation on feeling disconnected from people's stories when reading or watching on a screen and without active participation. I agree in that often stories feel distanced or fictional without connecting to them. VR is a powerful tool in decreasing distance between speaker/writer and audience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts