Blog Post 6

I really enjoyed the readings from this week. Specifically, Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay, I felt that the subjects it touched upon were relatable and eye-opening. Within this reading it spoke on topics that were also very current to this time, including reproductive freedom and artists lyrics. I feel that it is important to speak on topics such as feminism to inform, especially a topic that has been compromised from current media. I feel that I’m still trying to come to an understanding of my definition of feminism, and felt that the author poked at points that I agreed with and actually made me think deeper. One portion of this text that I thought was the most interesting, was the “How to be Friends with Another Woman.” I feel that in today’s society female connections are often based around competition and toxic standards. “Want nothing but the best for your friends because when your friends are happy and successful, it’s probably going to be easier for you to be happy.” I feel that this is so true, empowering other women create such a stronger bond, it’s important to surround yourself with people who want nothing but the best for you. 


I also enjoyed an animated short from untied shoes called the storm by Monica kidd. The doctor and filmmaker find signs of hope during uncertain times during a pandemic. She speaks about the fears and hardships people face and how a pandemic is similar to a storm. She speaks of when she delivers babies, and holding them for the first time she feels only what’s to come next hope for the future.


Lastly, I also enjoyed the problem that has no name by Hanna Bonner, I chose her towards me towards me. I was honestly quite confused in the beginning of this short, the scenes were filled with creepy and unsettling images mash together. There was no English, scary ambiance sounds, and loops of scenes for no reason. I found one scene to be almost disturbing of a man entering your room and a woman on the bed, but following that scene it jumped to another series of loops of images. I would love to discuss this more in class, because I was overall confused of this piece. 

Comments

Popular Posts