Blog Post 5- The Act of Giving Thanks

I listened to the This I Believe audio essay, “The Act of Giving Thanks”. I selected this particular work for its title and brief description. I also believe in the importance of appreciation and in acknowledging the efforts of others. In the description, the words gift, friendship, and thank-you-note writer stood out to me. As someone who still mails or delivers thank you cards to friends and family, I thought the story would resonate. The essay covers Michelle Lee, a former middle school teacher, and a writer and editor. Lee explains how her family was taught at an early age to write thank you letters for birthday and Christmas gifts and how that gratitude process continued into adulthood. The podcast narrator explains that for Lee it is more than a social grace, it has as she says, “made me more appreciative of the tremendous love, support, and kindness I receive daily” (Lee 2014). She explains that while others find this a chore, she looks forward to writing and will do it weekly. This inspired me to once again start writing thank you letters not only when I receive something, but also in appreciation for the people in my life. While a text is convenient, it lacks the effort and sincerity a hand-written note contains. In connecting her notes to a larger message Lee commented, 
 I was a middle school English teacher, and as I told my students, good manners are the cornerstone of a quality community. I believe that expressions of gratitude like thank-you letters keep me going. I am more motivated to do kind things for others when I feel appreciated, and I feel that I perpetuate kindness and generosity by genuinely expressing my thanks (2014).

 I thought her reminder that manners and gratitude are key within a quality community was powerful. When people feel appreciated and respected, they create a more positive environment. Little actions such as saying thank you or paying it forward shouldn’t be overlooked. I thought the medium of a podcast fit this message because it became a metaphor for hand-written cards–personal and heartfelt. In hearing Lee’s voice, the storytelling is more powerful and grounded in experience. I also appreciated Lee’s inclusion of her personality through tone and phrases describing herself as charmingly eccentric and easily amused by stationary. I felt I could connect to her in ideas and in the experience of letter writing–using it as a mindfulness practice or a means to reflect and connect to others. The text didn’t need a visual element because it felt largely reflective and feeling-based. Overall, I agreed with her message, the medium it was delivered in, and could relate to her experiences making the podcast an interesting listen.


Comments

  1. I think this is a really positive message and I agree that the medium really helped make the story much more powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally think letters to loved ones or people are special to you mean a lot, growing up I didn't ever live around my relatives but I would yearly or sometimes twice a year receive letters from my Grandma or a simple postcard with some words on the back of a photo of my cousin family. It made me feel like I had someone important in my life, which I did, but sometimes it was easy to forget that living far away from them I guess. Holding a letter from someone like that and reading it and then thinking about them can bring a lot of comfort but also gratitude because you know you both are still with each other in a way. Also the comment about "good manners being the cornerstone of a quality community" is something I agree with. It doesn't take a lot of effort to have good manners I think and common sense when it comes to what it takes to not be an inconvenience to someone else isn't that deep, so I think it's definitely worth the effort since the affect can be very strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading through your reflection. This piece's topic is beautiful, I believe in the importance in gratitude towards loved ones so it was great to learn more about ones perspective. Your reflection was thoughtful and gave a great perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you notes (or any notes, really) are so rare but even more appreciated now days. I love the act of reflecting on a friendship or a gift or an act with gratitude and expressing that to someone. I don't do it enough. It reminded me of your hypertext piece on letters. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts