Blog 6

Talking about body image is important and should be implemented as a part of life at a younger age. I wish I would’ve had a more positive relationship with my body at a younger age. I spent a long time being extremely hard on myself because of my surroundings and activities I was involved in early on. While I enjoyed Shrill (the reading) and Shrill the show, as well as The Body by Shelley Jackson, I realized that everyone’s relationship with their body is different and that's great. I particularly enjoyed Shelley’s piece for the fact that she matches every part of her body with a memory, good or bad. In terms of the medium in which this was conveyed, I would have to say that this interactive style was my favorite. I’m not sure how it was meant to be interpreted but I viewed it as how sometimes it feels as if certain parts of our bodies are circled by society, and I thought it was interesting how she chose this for the digital art style as the memories she associates with her body feel so private. I was really fond of Shrill, “You’re So Brave for Wearing Clothes and Not Hating Yourself!” I appreciated the subtle but not over the top humor. The way that Lindy West writes is very honest and not only in a personal way, but it feels authentic to the climate we live in and how people pass judgment and take note of things. It’s almost like an inner subconscious voice. Lastly, I wanted to mention The Problem That Has No Name, since I am more of a visually oriented person I was intrigued by this piece and the artistry behind the message. Not much was explained, the piece spoke for itself, it was hard to watch but hard to look away.

Comments

Popular Posts