Treeline Reflection

 

    Treeline was a great piece I thought when it came to its cinematography, like the filming, visual editing, and the sound design. After watching it twice, I think the purpose of the video was not a message per se, but rather to simply showcase the responses people who lived and worked near forests gave when asked about what trees meant to them.

    I liked how Dr. Connie Miller’s walk in the beginning of the film highlighted just how large the mountains are in Nevada, I really would never have even imagined there being mountains in Nevada but that was interesting to see. Speaking of which I think I most of what I have to say about this piece is grounded in how cool a lot of the filming was. There were a lot of birds-eye shots of the forest, drone footage as it flew beside a mountain, close-up shots, varying focuses; I really applaud the results of whoever was the one doing film capture.

 

    Concerning the information and words shared though I didn’t find it that informative or in the end that interesting. I really don’t mean any disrespect to the people interviewed; for one they live their own lives in their own parts of the world and they think about the same things I do. I honestly think it was more of the video editor’s decisions that gave the video a vibe which maybe detracted from the impact of the scarce scientific information included, but also at least for me, really inflated the “oneness and good vibrations” energy I got from the video. And again, I think these people who were interviewed were asked a question concerning relationships between themselves and an unhuman being, so it’s going to be a bit founded in emotional and spiritual senses, but the editing made it seem to me like these little tidbits about their relationships with trees were like little cosmic nuggets of wisdom that I could really benefit from being as how I am living in a less-nature orientated society which was, through I think mostly editing, implied as being disconnected from the majesticness of things such as trees, and moreover spiritually unsatisfied in that sense of who I am relating to nature. 

 

    Also of course how I take things in when I watch them is I guess an indication of how I think - I just got the impression that the editing heavily affected how these people and what they said was conveyed. Overall though I thought it was a cool video with visuals from different parts of the world which I always enjoy seeing, but in the end the “message” was not that distinct or significant to me.

Comments

Popular Posts