Memoir reflection

I really enjoyed Mary Karr’s perspective on the connection of memoirs and memory. I enjoyed the comparison of a ‘high school reunion’, it made me realize the connections I make when piecing together memories. Sometime when reintroduced to a memory you forget, it links you to others that complete the picture. I’ve always found myself to have a more visual memory. When I reflect on places and times I like to mentally place myself in the room that the memory took place. Just remembering a layout of a room has always helped me piece together what I experienced and the details of that moment. It truly does feel like Karr’s feeling of ‘spouting it’d vines and flowers up’, a memory that was once lost holds a grip on you like roots. 


I found Jeanette Winterson’s memoir to be descriptive and raw. The topics she reflects on are personal and invites the reader in on an inside look on her childhood. I thought it was interesting how she presented her mother, analyzing her from childhood to adulthood, the personal she saw on the inside and out. It’s funny how we can spend our entire lives with people who are rather private, but from actions and words can create and understand the person they are on the inside. I have been enjoying memoir’s more, it’s interesting to hear how ones childhood can shape one’s future.

Comments

  1. I also enjoyed reading Mary Karr's high school reunion. Even while I was reading about her connections of high school, I was reminded of my own that I had. A place as specific as high school, for example, can have a lot of emotions tied with their associated memories. Overall, I find it interesting how just setting alone can bring so many memories to resurface as fast as they might have been forgotten.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts