Memoir Modalities

I have always found memoir pieces to be interesting. Usually, I'm drawn to them because reading about someone's life story is often fascinating to me. Growing up, we often read memoirs in school that related to a certain topic that was being taught, as well as Ted Talks and other modalities. I remember very specifically watching a Ted Talk about David Blaine, and his journey of breaking the world record for holding your breath underwater. That was super effective because we were visually introduced to what his journey looked like and what he had to endure. This is why I enjoyed "How Long Does it Take to Become an American?" Even if I was just reading his story on paper, I would still be drawn in. However, hearing his voice and seeing him is what really grabbed my attention. The idea of ignorance he brings up in his speech was truly moving and I think him physically delivering it helped it be so effective.

In general, other modes of memoir are easier for me to follow than just reading. As a visual learner, seeing and hearing someone talk about their own stories makes me pay real attention, whereas I struggle to read through an entire piece of a memoir sometimes. Personally, I do not think that other modes (Ted Talks, podcasts, documentaries) take away anything from the story. For me specifically, seeing visuals in these modes, especially documentaries and things of that sort, help me learn more. Additionally, with what we’re learning about childhood and time, physically hearing someone's life story makes it feel raw and authentic. It also depends on how long a piece is for me. I find that, the longer the piece, the better off it will be in writing. However, for shorter pieces, the visual and audio element are very helpful in telling the story.

Comments

Popular Posts