Blog Post 4

I do find memoir style pieces to be very thought provoking. Every once in a while, I will read or hear a personal account whether it’s through a video, podcast, article, etc. that really leaves a long-lasting impression on me. I love how someone’s story can linger in your mind for days on end. Often, I end up coming back to that story and replaying it in my head. Since I am a more visual person, my favorite modes of learning about these stories are typically through a video. This is why I enjoyed “How long does it take to become an American”. Typically, I would say that since there weren't that many visual aspects that it was hard to follow, but Jaed’s storytelling was impeccable. This will certainly be a story that I will go back to in my thoughts. On the other hand, I also really enjoyed “Adventures in Depression” by Allie Brosh for its visual component of the comic pieces. I found it interesting how they presented a comedic aspect to a dark topic.

I think in a memoir style piece having a visual and auditory component brings not only a new complexion to a story, but it also helps to depict the tone. This helps the reader develop more of an emotional attachment to the story and those who are involved in the story. Although words can illustrate what a writer is feeling, it is more impactful to see the physical feelings behind those words through facial expressions and body language. I would also go on to say that even audio storytelling enables the listener to feel those words as well. It is absolutely not to say that the authors who decide to tell their story through written word pieces aren't valuable. I personally feel strongly on the impact of great audio/visual storytelling.


Comments

  1. I am also a more visual person and agree with what you said about audio/visual storytelling leaving a big impact. Seeing the personal videos and photographs or even the speaker themselves can make me feel more invested in their works. It makes their story more concrete and separates it from fiction to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with the visual aspect of this! It helps to learn more and understand the message that is trying to be conveyed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts