Bridget Post 1

One of my favorite works on creative non-fiction is The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery. Montgomery wrote this book after frequently visiting the Boston Aquarium and over the years meeting the different octopuses that lived there. Through her time there, she learned about all the cool things that octopuses can do and was so inspired that she decided to share her experiences through this book. Here is a little excerpt from the book; "Here is an animal that has venom like a snake, a beak like a parrot, and ink like an old-fashioned pen. It can weigh as much as a man and stretch as long as a car, yet can pour its baggy, boneless body through an opening the size of an orange. It can change color and shape. It can taste with its skin. Most fascinating of all, I had read that octopuses are smart. This bore out what scant experience I had already had; like many who visit octopuses in public aquaria, I’ve often had the feeling the octopus I was watching was watching me back, with an interest as keen as my own" (Montgomery, 2015). I enjoyed this book a lot and the way that the author has set it up, explaining different interesting characteristics of octopuses in general through specific encounters with the many different octopuses that she met. This is definitely a worthwhile read! I learned lots through this piece of nonfiction!



Comments

Popular Posts